Thursday, July 19, 2012

History

"Saturn" of the Planet Series
a filigree project for a metalsmithing class I took in 2006.
© Erica Freestone
I never thought that taking a metalsmithing class out of pure curiosity at my local community college would take me to where I am today. I never expected to love this art as much as I do, and yet, here I am 6 years later, finding myself more and more in love with it than ever.

This was the first piece I ever made out of sterling silver, a filigree project. I remember my professor, Theresa Lovering-Brown, commenting on how 'professional' my first ever bezel looked. What a great moment of encouragement that I'll certainly remember forever!

Today, as I prepare to go into work (work! My Dream Job working for myself in my own studio!), to continue working on a custom order with a piece of the Berlin Wall, I am reminded of just how much history we have in ourselves and the things with which we adorn ourselves. I just thought I'd share this little piece of my own history with you, my friends, family, and followers, because a little nostalgia is always good for our souls to remind us of where we've been and hopefully encourage us to continue to strive to get where we want to go. Anything is possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment